Hi… so I finished SOC and CK and though they made me suffer as a reader, I do have typings for the squad. These are preliminary typings and I will definitely not be going back to revisit for the sake of accuracy. These are just the impressions I got from mostly reading and a bit of skimming to get through the duology. I’ll mostly just dispute that Kaz is ENTJ not INTJ because honestly I didn’t care about the characters all too much in this series. I’m all about correcting NTJ stereotypes tho.
Spoilers for Crooked Kingdom below because I can’t bare to go back and remember SOC.
Kaz – ENTJ
- I disagree with everyone who automatically types this boy as INTJ because coughs brooding bad boy INTJ stereotype is so old… I’m done with it. And being an INTJ myself, I would say about Kaz the same thing I’ve said about Jumin Han – his primary goal is to get shit done which reeks of dominant Te. Kaz tends to act first and get stuff done then ask questions later. He’s choosing specific actions (Te) to get what he wants (what auxillary Ni envisions) rather than the other way around as an INTJ would.
- Kaz has a good quote (yes, I admit there are a couple of CK lines I actually liked that shows his dom Te) When he and Wylan break into van Eck’s place they have the convo: “You’re not weak because you can’t read. You’re weak because you’re afraid of people seeing your weakness. You’re letting shame decide who you are. Help me with the painting.”
- Kaz’s primary struggle in this series is showing mercy on those who wronged him or something (again I didn’t read too carefully because of my
hatreddistaste for the writing but I’m sure it’s somewhere in his arc). Wylan and Inej serve as foils or morality guides with their dominant Fi to Kaz’s dom Te. Their interactions urge him to embrace his Fi.
- When Jesper asks who’s Jordie, Kaz mcfreakin’ snaps and it’s really obvious to everyone, showing that he’s got a short emotional fuse – which is understandable since feeling is his lowest function. INTJs would be better at hiding their emotional outbursts in my opinion.
- Not to be all shippy with the mbti typings because people of any type can get along fairly well, but this would make sense why his interactions with Inej and Wylan are like the strongest if we go by the ExTJ x IxFP dynamic being a nice pair off. Again, this is just my opinion.
Inej – ISFP
Jesper – ESTP
Matthias – ISTJ
- Honestly the ESTP-ISTJ dynamic Jesper and Matthias had going on was really (A-OK SIGN). Given their almost Zuko-Katara backstories – Matthias, whom I begrudgingly will admit LB did incorporate some Zuko into his character, and Jesper basically having Katara’s tragic backstory – I kinda ship it. Jetthias it is and Jetthias so it shall be.
Nina – ENTP
Wylan – INFP
Kuwei – idk Wylan was Kuwei longer than Kuwei was Kuwei.